Featured Post

Let It Go: Fear As Motivation

An existential crisis provides almost no positive repercussions, but I can attest to one: you suddenly realize that fear is made up of a wh...

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Feeding Your Artist Soul

The Book of Mormon on Broadway won Best Musical in 2011, and it is STILL the hottest ticket in town-highest bidder at $477. On Sunday, through the good will of a friend, I got to see the show for free and it exceeded (and absolutely demolished) my expectations!  It was as though this show had been a big, juicy steak that I awarded myself at the end of Lent. It had been so long since I had been to a show of that caliber, always having excuses as to why I cannot afford it, or not finding the time. I was overwhelmed by the unconditional commitment from every person onstage, as well as behind the scenes-from the witty, topical book and lyrics, to the spectacular stage management that only a former SM would recognize. While Elder Price was expertly singing "I Believe," I promised to have a healthy diet of at least one piece of theater every month to ensure that I keep my perspective on what high standards and talent are, as well as to remind me to allow myself to dream big.  As big as Broadway.

There's a certain guilt artists sometimes feel when they go for long periods of time without seeing or being a part of their respective art form. I've felt it ever since I developed a theater conscience in college, and we all talk about it when we meet up-"I've been such a bad actor, I haven't seen a play in months!" "I can't even call myself a writer anymore-I haven't written a word in a year." "I'm pretty sure I've forgotten how to act." All of these self-imposed pressures and statements are detrimental (NOT the same as instrumental, TY Justin Bieber) to your soul's growth as an artist! In a city like New York, where a Broadway ticket averages $130, it's not always easy to feed your soul with great art and music. Alternatively, in a city like New York, there are so many low-cost/free options: go see your friends in a show, find a new or small theater company, community theater, open-mic nights, museum exhibits, public performance art, the MTA performers, local school shows, and even just walking through the subway tunnels-it's all art and culture! Nonetheless, just because the standard of what you are watching or doing is not the highest level, it does NOT mean you are being a bad or uninformed artist. Doing nothing makes you that, and if you're reading this column, you're ahead of the game!


Audition Technique-a required class I took at NYU to prepare me for the "real world"-taught me how to audition professionally, create a resume, and handle myself well in front of Casting Directors. However, one of the most influential take-aways was when our teacher told us to "do something for your actor every day. No matter how big or small-one thing a day will keep your soul fed." There is no parameter for what is "good" soul food: checking the playbill.com home page daily, auditioning, seeing any kind of show, reading a play, singing a song, going to a museum, practicing your instrument (even if it's your body and voice!), working out, theoretical conversations, dancing, buying a book, and even just watching a film. The "what" is not important; as long as you are mindful of how it can better your craft, and expand your knowledge and understanding of the world, you are doing something for your artist soul EVERY DAY.

The BEST website for Broadway discounts and policies:
http://www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com


"Suggested Donation" Museums
The signs are small, but you do NOT have to pay the exorbitant amount expected to be paid by TOURISTS; I'm so excited to share this list with you! Don't be embarrassed about donating even just $1-you shouldn't have to pay more than you can for something that is technically free to the public.

  • American Museum of Natural History
  • The Cloisters
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • New York City Fire Museum
  • MoMA PS1 
  • Museum of the City of New York
  • Queens Museum of Art
  • Staten Island Museum
FREE FRIDAYS!
  • The Hall of Science, Free Fridays 2pm-5pm
  • MoMA, Free Fridays 4pm-8pm
  • The Museum of Moving Image, Free Fridays 4pm-8pm
  • Rubin Museum of Art, Free Fridays 6pm-10pm




No comments:

Post a Comment